Thursday, January 28, 2016

Firefighter Interactive Articulation Activity

Every year, we have a Firefighters visit the preschool to talk about fire safety with our students. I usually do several activities with the students the week before the firefighters come - mostly language related. However, I felt like my articulation kiddos weren't getting in on the firefighter fun. That, paired with my love for interactive articulation activities, led to this new activity! 

Just print, cut, and laminate the fire cards (I double laminated since they'll be exposed to water). 

Then put the cards with the student's target sounds in a rubbermaid bin or water table. Have them practice "putting out the fires" with a squirt water bottle.


As they are putting out the fires, they can practice saying the articulation target on each flame card.
You can use fun carrier phrases such as “The tub is on fire” or “I saved the ball from the fire” to practice articulation sounds in phrases or sentences. 
 
I also have a transformers fire station I picked up at a yard sale for $5. If you have a toy fire station or fire truck, you can place cards around the room and have the students drive the truck to the various "fires" to put them out. My students have loved both activities! 
 
If you'd like to download this activity, you can find it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment