Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Di-Cut Parent Handouts

Last year (the 2016-17 school year), two of my professional goals included increasing my communication with parents and changing out my door decorations more frequently (I'm embarrassed to admit that I left the same door decoration up for the entire 2015-16 school year). However, my work life is incredibly busy and I needed a way to do this simply and with minimal prep. Hence, the Di-Cut Parent Handout was born! 

Step 1 - Cut out seasonal di-cuts. Have your students brainstorm target words/prompts to write on the dicut. This is a great opportunity to talk about what they are working on in therapy and to help them take ownership of their goals. 
Step 2 - attach to your door. I had apples and leaves on a tree, ornaments on a Christmas tree, mittens on twine, shamrocks/eggs/flowers hidden in "grass," and fish swimming in a sea. 
Step 3 - When you are ready to move on to the next season, take down the dicut and attach them to these handouts. Send them home and you've got parent communication done. 


These handouts provide a space for the di-cut. But they also provide easy activities for parents to do at home - along with prompts and ideas for moving forward. It highlights the importance of practicing a little bit each day. I have gotten excellent feedback from my parents. 

This packet contains 18 handouts for articulation, categories, object functions, quantity concepts, describing words, spatial concepts, temporal concepts, fluency strategies, multiple meaning words, body part/clothing vocabulary, generic vocabulary, following directions, wh questions, irregular plurals, regular plurals, irregular past tense, regular past tense, and present progressive verbs. Di-Cuts are not included. You can use any dicuts that your school has on hand. I chose these because they went along well with my therapy themes and my school had them readily available. I spend maybe 15 minutes cutting the dicuts before the unit and 20 minutes afterwards to prepare the parent handouts. Not bad for door decorations, a therapy activity, and a parent handout for 70+ students! 

If this is something you can use, please check it out here.

Thanks for stopping by! 

No comments:

Post a Comment