Monday, June 20, 2022

Activities for Themed Vocabulary Flashcards

I often include vocabulary flashcards in my themed language packets. I love working on vocabulary related to the themes being used in the preschool classrooms, the seasons, etc. I feel like it helps to give children the vocabulary they need in specific situations. But just labeling flashcards is no fun! Here are some fun things I like to do with those vocabulary flashcards. 

1.) Hedbanz - We play the Hedbanz game, but I substitute the vocabulary flashcards for the cards that come with the game. 

2.) Flashlight Search - Hide cards around the room, then shut off the lights. Give you students a flashlight to help them find the cards in the dark. Sometimes I have them simply label the picture. Other times I have them label the picture and then tell me a characteristic of the item. This is an easy activity to scale up or down depending on your students' skills. It's also great for those kiddos that have a hard time staying in their seats! 

3.) I Spy - Lay out the cards and play I Spy - you can name the item for a simple identification task or describe it to them so that they have to label. Allow them to take turns to work on labeling and describing. 

4.) Wind Up Toys - Lay all the cards out. Start a wind up toy on top of the cards. Have your students label the item that wind up toy lands on.

5.) Guess the Item - Give them a few choices (2-5 depending on how difficult you want it to be). Then start describing one of the items for them to choose. 

6.) Make Up Sentences/Stories - Give your student 1-3 cards. Have them make a story or sentence that contains all the words in a way that makes sense. 

7.) Correct the Silly Sentences - Make up a silly sentence and have them correct it using one of their vocabulary words. For example, "you wear shoes on your head." Oh no! "You wear a stocking cap on your head!" 

8.) Make a Board Game - Let your students line up the cards any way they want to make a giant game board. Then add a dice and some game pieces to play the game.

9.) Play Card Games - Go Fish, Old Maid, and Memory are easy to do - just print two sets of the cards. 

I hope you can use some of these ideas in your therapy room! Thanks for stopping by! 

No comments:

Post a Comment