Monday, August 1, 2022

My Favorite Parent Handouts for Speech Therapy


 

Our clinic is very family-oriented. We see a lot of 0-3 aged patients through Early Intervention, which is a family-centered program. I've had to learn a lot about parent coaching and education. Which, I have to admit, is definitely NOT my strength. I've found that parent handouts are often the easiest way for me to do this. It's less direct (which is great for people-pleasing me!), gives the parents something to refer to later, and gives us a jumping off point for conversations about their child's development. I have rounded up a list of my favorite parent handouts. Check it out if you need some resources for your own clinic! 

When first assessing a child, I like to give parents these handouts from Speech Room News to start the discussion about developmental norms and expectations. 

She also has a second set that is great for giving out to parents, especially those with 0-3 aged children, to incorporate language into their daily routines. 

I also use these "Word of the Week" Handouts with my kiddos who are working on core vocabulary. 

Once they are moving beyond those core, basic words, I like to use these "Vocabulary of the Month" handouts to expand in certain areas. 

Jenna Rayburn Kirk, from Speech Room News, has seasonal "Learning Through Play" Handouts that I LOVE! I send them home every year. 

For older children, I like to give parents this "Importance of Playing Games" Handout to help them see how that interaction is helpful for their child. 

Many parents also complain that their child struggles with engaging with books. I like to give them this Book Handout full of tips and strategies for increasing engagement. 

For articulation, I use these "Parent Handouts for Articulation," which can be customized to each student. 

For my patients who stutter, I love these handouts from the Stuttering Foundation. They have a ton of handouts for a variety of ages, caregivers, skills, etc. It's a great resource and it's all free! 

I also find these handouts from Let's Talk Speech Therapy super useful when introducing AAC to families. 

What are some of your go-to parent handouts?

No comments:

Post a Comment