Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Sign Language Resources



If you're like me, you took a couple sign language classes in college and then proceeded to forget everything but the basics. That worked for awhile, as I didn't really have any kids on my caseload that needed any thing more advanced. Then I switched jobs. My new job was located in a town that was also the location for our state's school for the deaf. To be honest, I still didn't really need much sign. Most of the kids that needed speech therapy services were getting them at the school, so they weren't coming to our outpatient clinic. I occasionally had a deaf parent, but interpretation services were available through the hospital. But, every once in awhile, I'd have a child of a deaf adult who had quite a sign language vocabulary that I couldn't always understand. I decided that I needed to brush up on my skills. I was worried about using some of the sources on YouTube, as I had found some that were giving incorrect information. So I wanted more reliable resources, but I had a limited budget to do so. I set out to find some comprehensive sign language course that didn't cost an arm and a leg. And, to my surprise, there were a lot of great options. Here is what I found: 

StartASL (free) - This is the one I am personally using right now. Once you sign up, you receive a link to all the free lessons. I like that there are PDF workbooks that you can download to help guide you through the lessons. It's self-paced, but you have access to an instructor. You also receive a completion certificate, which is helpful if you need it for work. These lessons are more than just basic signs, they also have information about grammar, sign orientation, etc. The also offer a paid course that is more in-depth. 

SignSchool (free) - I have not personally used this website, but it has good reviews. It looks easy to navigate. I have signed up for the sign of the day email. I love the idea of receiving a sign to practice each day. One sign per day seems completely doable! If you don't have time to sit for a whole lesson each week, this might be a nice alternative. 

Oklahoma School for the Deaf (free) - OKSOD offers free classes via zoom 2 times per year. They fill up quickly, so I suggest following their Facebook page so you can be one of the first to know! The courses are thorough, but you have to login at a specific time and day, meaning they aren't as flexible as some of the other resources. 

ASL University (free) - This website has a ton of signs with videos, organized in alphabetical order. The signs are typically easy to find. I also love that there are videos for the sign so you can see the action in real life. However, there isn't a lot of information on sentence structure, etc. 

Sign Language 101 - This website has 3 paid courses - 2 for adults and one for kids. The courses are affordable and self-paced. They are IACET Accredited. You can also find a plethora of free videos here.

Signing Time - If you have a Roku with the Tubi app installed, you can get access to Signing Time's videos on there. Signing Time also offers a subscription for $9.99/mo on their website. It includes unlimited access. If you are trying to learn sign with your child or are wanting to brush up on baby sign, this would be a great resource. 

Gallaudet University (free) - There are a ton of high quality videos on this site that include a variety of signs. My only complaint is that you cannot search for a specific word. 

 So if you are looking to brush up on those sign language skills, check these great resources out! If you have others to add to the list, let me know! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment