Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Chicken Soup for the SLP Soul: Funny Edition Linky Party!

The Dabbling Speechie is hosting a Linky Party that is just too funny to pass up! SLPs are gathering together to share some of the funny things that kids have said to us over the years. I've been reading through them and enjoying some good ole belly laughs! Check it out if you're in need of a pick-me-up! 

Anyway, here is my funny story:
I currently work in a school district that has a large population of Spanish speakers from all over the world - Mexico, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican, Panama, and the list goes on and on. I learned Spanish as an adult and completed a Spanish minor during my undergraduate course work. I would not be considered bilingual, but I have a nice sized vocabulary and working background knowledge to make my job a little easier. I can carry on some basic conversations. Anyway, at the beginning of the year, I was helping my Pre-K get students where they needed to go on their first day of school. One little girl was SPRINTING down the hallway. I told her several times to slow down and stop running, but she kept going. I finally realized that she couldn't understand the direction I was giving her. So I repeated it in Spanish for her. 
She immediately stops and gives me a very confused look. 
She says (in Spanish), "You know Spanish?"
I say (in Spanish), "I know a little."
She replies (in Spanish) "But you're white."
 Well, yes sweetheart, I am white. Thanks for noticing.
 
The funny thing about all of this, is am notoriously pale. Here's a picture of me:
 
 I am so white that I almost glow in the dark. :) I definitely don't resemble you're stereotypical Spanish speaker. Anyway, hop on over to The Dabbling Speechie to see what others are sharing! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment