Thursday, September 22, 2016

The Importance of Playing Games - Free Parent Handout!

As a speech language pathologist, I often incorporate game play into therapy. Sometimes it's a game specifically created to target language/speech goals. But sometimes I am using a regular ol' board game. No matter what kind of game it is, I am always amazed at how many of my students have no concept of playing a game. They struggle with counting spaces, remembering which marker is theirs, rolling dice, etc. Sometimes I feel like I spend more time teaching them how to play a game than targeting their therapy goals. This frustration lead me to create this: 
There is one handout for preschool/early elementary and one handout for late elementary/middle school students. The handouts highlight the different areas of development that games can help - social skills, fine motor skills, various academic skills, problem solving, language/vocabulary. It also give game suggestions for each age group. You can grab it for FREE here! 

Thanks for dropping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment